Yes, Detoxifying armpits is a thing!
Commercial antiperspirants contain a variety of chemicals that prevents you from sweating. Sweating naturally increases blood circulation and strengthens our immune system.
Why is this a big deal? Ever gotten sick and had a lump in your neck or armpit? That is a lymph node and they play a major part in your immune system. Putting endocrine disruption chemicals directly on top of them is a great way to disrupt your hormones and suppress immune function.
The skin is the body’s largest organ and what touches our skin can easily enter our bloodstream. Cancer-causing substances in antiperspirants are deposited into axillary lymph nodes located near the breasts and you are unable to get rid of them by sweating because the antiperspirant keeps you from perspiring. Most breast cancers develop in the upper outer quadrant of the breast because that area is closest to the lymph nodes exposed to antiperspirants.
Studies have shown a possible correlation between aluminum (the main active ingredient in commercial deoterants) on diseases like Alzheimer’s and breast cancer, which is why natural deodorants are a great alternative.
Sweating from your armpits can cause a little or a lot of body odor when you start using Natural Deodorants (unless you find the perfect natural alternative ) but there’s a way to help your body make the transition.
An underarm detox using our DETOX CLAY MASK is one way to help with the transition process and draw out toxins from your body.
If you haven't found a good aluminum free deodorant, or if you need a clean slate, there are ways to at least rid your armpits of toxins.
- CLEANSE. First cleanse with our Tea Tree + Lavender Face and Body Bar to begin the detox process. This bar contains activated charcoal to draw out oil and impurities while tea tree + lavender detoxify.
- EXFOLIATE using one of our BODY SCRUBS to exfoliate the area gently. All of our scrubs contain the best essential oils for detox including; lavender, grapefruit, peppermint, lemongrass, orange, ginger and bergamot.
- DRY OFF THOROUGHLY. Bacteria love warm, damp environments, which is why the armpits need extra care. After taking a shower or bath, make sure to spend extra time drying under your arms.
- MIX OUR DETOX CLAY MASK. Our detox mask contains Sea and Bentonite clays which helps draw out toxins from the skin so your armpits can detox more quickly. Using a small bowl, mix the following ingredients;
1 Tbsp of our Detox Clay Mask powder
1-2 tsp water
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
You can also add honey and plain yogurt for extra moisture and coconut oil which has anti-microbial properties helping to fight bacteria. Make it fun and try different additives. Apply the mask to your armpits. Leave on for 10-15 minutes until dry, then using a warm washcloth, wipe off the mask.
5. APPLY LEMON. Natural acids like those found in apple cider vinegar, witch hazel and lemon juice can help neutralize the bacteria in your armpits and lighten discoloration. After bathing, simply apply a little lemon juice with a cotton ball. Let it dry before putting on your deodorant and getting dressed.
Within a week or two, you should notice that you’re sweating less and smell better (without the help of deodorant!). If it takes you a little longer to notice results, be patient, and give it time to work its magic.
We recommend exfoliating your armpits and apply a detox mask at least once a week for optimal results.